Thursday, April 1, 2021

Spring Fling Kidlit Contest 2021!

Happy Spring Everyone!
 
I wrote a tiny Spring story for the fun and fabulous Spring Fling Kidlit Contest! A huge thank you to Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez and Ciara O’Neal for this wonderful opportunity! My story runs 137 words.
 
Thank you for reading...


Jacqueline and the Bean

by Amber Lane

 


It’s Springtime!

 

 

Everything is blooming anew.

 

The sun warms the earth, and it’s time to plant bountiful gardens.

 

        But... not for Jacqueline.

 

 

“Jacqueline!” Mom squeals. “Watch out for my petunias!”

 

“Jacqueline!” Grandma cries. “Don’t smash the sprouts!”

 

 

Sure, Jacqueline is little. Yes, she is clumsy at times.

 

But she longs to dig her fingers into the soil, plant a bean, and watch it grow.

 

 

“You’re too little!” is the constant refrain.

        Jacqueline has enough.

 

 

At night, Jacqueline and her kitten, Luna, sneak into the garden shed to gather supplies. 

 

Then they tiptoe through the sweet, cool grass to their clubhouse and get to work.

 

 

Weeks later, the moment arrives.

 

“Mom! Grandma! Surprise!” chirps Jacqueline.

 

 

They marvel at the plant Jacqueline grew.

 

“Meow!” purrs Luna.

 

“Thank you, Luna.” says Jacqueline.

 

 

“I may be little, but I can grow!”
 
 
 
You can check out the other awesome stories soon here.
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. So sweet! My Grandpa grew watermelons on his farm in summer. He mostly planted corn and soybeans, but watermelons were his "special" crop to give away. We alway had to be careful not to step on vines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you were very careful! How wonderful that your Grandpa grew watermelons. I have never seen them growing. We have some peas that have germinated and are starting to look good. Luckily for my kids I do not know what I am doing so I will allow them to garden away!

      Delete
  2. Such a lovable character. Bravo to Jacqueline's confidence and persistence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how even though she was fed up with being seen as too little she used her energy to make something all of her own and was respectful of the other’s spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! She's so independent and resourceful. I need to follow her lead!

      Delete
  4. Delightful story! I like how Jacqueline surprises her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

      Delete
  5. Go Jacqueline! This is such a fantastic story to show kids they are capable but also to remind us adults to let children give things a try even when we think they're too little. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Melissa thank you! I need constant reminders. How can kiddos ever do things well if we adults never give them the chance to learn, practice, or even fail. I am grateful for your feedback!

      Delete
  6. Aww what a wonderful, double meaning last line. Thanks for sharing with us for the spring fling Kidlit contest. Sincerely, Kaitlyn Leann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitlyn Leann, thank YOU for all the hard work that goes into the Spring Fling Kidlit Contest! I am grateful for this opportunity and the stories it germinated. (A little too punny?!) :)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like she might have helped her mom and grandma to grow as well! Way to be resourceful Luna. And well done Amber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great observation! I never expected to learn from my kids but boy have I ever!

      Delete
  8. I completely identify with Jacqueline! I look at a plant and it withers. Yay that she persevered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciara, me too! I am trying to garden a bit but the past years have left me with little success. We can live vicariously through Jacqueline!

      Delete