Monday, January 10, 2011

Confession #2: Coffee, Chocolate and Africa

My husband loves me. He gave me the most magnificent coffee cups for Christmas. They are white, huge and simply have the word "coffee" type-faced imprinted on the side of the cup, right were your lower lip touches when you drink.  The texture of the letters feels wonderful. The cups are so big that they completely cover your face all the way to the top of your eyebrows when you take a sip. It is a most beautiful moment of complete bliss. My morning double Americano is like a hot shower for my mouth. The fact that I can now block out all else while taking each sip makes it seem like I'm at the Ritz Carlton in the penthouse jacuzzi bath tub with room service on the way and a massage scheduled in the afternoon.

Another incredible gift I received this holiday season was cocoa dusted espresso beans. They are like an orgasm for my mouth. (I am blushing even writing that but it's true.). They came simply with the description, "One Yummy Pound" and they were not kidding. I have never had a better chocolate covered bean in my life and have already decided that they need to be set up for monthly auto-shipment. They were given to me by my sister-n-law who is an extremely good gift giver. You know how some people have it and some just don't?  She's got it and I'm not sure I'll ever be able repay her. Here are some other examples of her fabulous gifts: an adorable hand made bear hat for Arden that fit last winter and still fits this winter, a certificate to babysit for us along with CASH and a very thoughtful restaurant recommendation, and an ulu. She is a park ranger in Alaska at Denali National Park thus the Inuit knife gift. No, she does not know Sarah Palin.

Would you like to guess where she is now?  Africa. Kampala, Uganda to be specific. She is volunteering for 5 weeks in a clinic, then, climbing Kilimanjaro and going on safari and other adventures for 2 more months. Booyah.

Around week 10 she is going to Zanzibar. I don't know why that word is so familiar to me. Maybe it's just in my blood because it is an island off the east coast of Africa and it looks INCREDIBLE. I am seriously considering meeting her for the weekend. Zanzibar should be the new Caribbean as far as I am concerned. I'm going to write JetBlue about starting nonstop service. You have to look at Google map photos of this place. It looks like paradise. Absolute paradise. It may be a touch politically unstable but nothing is perfect I guess. And by seriously considering joining her I mean in my freaking dreams.

Isn't she beautiful?
The ulu promptly went into storage after this photo was taken.  Childproofing at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment